The ultimate goal of EGI-InSPIRE is to provide European scientists and their international partners with a sustainable, reliable e-Infrastructure that can support their needs for large-scale data analysis. This is essential in order to solve the big questions facing science today, and in the decades to come.
EGI-InSPIRE will coordinate the transition from a project-based system (the EGEE series) to a sustainable pan-European e-Infrastructure. The four-year project will support grids of high-performance computing (HPC) and high-throughput computing (HTC) resources.
The project is ideally placed to integrate new Distributed Computing Infrastructures (DCIs) such as clouds, supercomputing networks and desktop grids, to benefit the user communities within the European Research Area.
EGI-InSPIRE will collect user requirements and provide support for the current and potential new user communities, for example the ESFRI projects. The project will also support the current heavy users of the infrastructure, such as high energy physics, computational chemistry and life sciences, as they move their critical services and tools from a centralised support model to one driven by their own individual communities.
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with EGI was signed on 20th January 2011, and a Service Level Agreement was signed on 6th April 2011.
Joint Work Plan
EGI and IGE will work together to enable the vision of providing European scientists and international collaboration for sustainable distributed computing services to support their work. In this broad context, the specific goals of the collaborations are:
- to provide robust, well-designed, user-centric services to scientific user communities
- to define and monitor SLA for third-level support on incidents and requests
- to accelerate the development of standards within production grid infrastructures
- to disseminate the results of this collaboration within the remit of each project’ s dissemination and communication activities such as joint events
- to exchange ideas and collaborate on the definition of sustainability models
- to collaborate in business relationships development